Thread: 223 Wylde Chambering in an AR

223 Wylde Chambering in an AR

OK, I'm trying to build out a couple of AR lowers that I've had kicking around now for a while and one particular AR I'd like to do is a longer rifle in an 18 or 20 inch barrel. For that I was thinking about something chambered in 223 Wylde for a bit more versatility. Anyone had one and how did you like it?

I figured it'd be nice to be able to shoot both the hotter 5.56 rounds as well as the 223. I was thinking of a 1 in 8 twist so it might get me the best of both worlds. All my other AR's are chamber for 5.56 but this gun will be more of a light varmint gun like for coyote. I had, at one time, a Windham Weaponry
    (which is the old original Bushmaster) heavy barrel 24 inch Varminter which had a 223 Compass Lake chambering similar to the 223 Wylde. The only reason I got rid of it was the extreme heaviness of the gun. But the chambering was nice as it could shoot lightweight 223 rounds as well as hotter 5.56 heavy bullet rounds.

Just about all of my NM ARs are with a Wylde chamber. Go with it and be happy.

The 1x8 twist is an excellent choice. You'll be able to shoot up to 80gr bullets just fine. I've run two of those on one of the ARs and the SDM clone has a Douglas 1x8 on it. Have it zeroed to shoot quarter sized groups or smaller at 200 yards. Do NOT go with the 1x9. You'll be limited to a 70gr bullet tops.

The 223 wylde is a great barrel....I know a buddy who loves to shoot with this barrel for long range.... sub MOA

I finally got all the parts to complete my heavy barrel 223 Wylde build so I'm putting it together finally. I just need to decide on the optic and get that bought.

No pictures, it didn't happen.....
    A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.
    Vladimir Ilyich Lenin