Thread: kids are gonna find out how tough camping can be

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before

kids are gonna find out how tough camping can be

Two of my daughters and their sig other, have purchased either trailers or motor homes, hehehe, they have young ones under 12 in their habitat, they always enjoyed going camping ; we did a old ted williams tent, three compartment and a bucket out back with a hole under it with a shovel to deal with the aftermath,

so this weekend was both families maiden run with their new found toys, one here in Arizona and the other in Alabama, so waiting to see how it all went, hehe, i'm betting they had no idea how much work it is even with the modern conviences
    Rj living the dream

Boy is this the truth.
    Like a lot of folks, I started off with a tent, moved up to a camper and then a motor home. As I moved up the scale pretty much everything became more expensive and less convenient, and of course the workload increased dramatically. Should have stuck with the damn tent. And the stress level went up as well. So much for relaxing weekends.

Double post.
    Last edited by Cooperdisciple; 04-19-2021 at 07:03 AM.

I started off sleeping on the ground, then got a 4 wheeler and started sleeping under it, then a camper shell, but that's as far as I went.

I started out sleeping on the ground as well, hated tents, tarp worked fine, then about 4 years ago Daughter talked me into getting a cot so I did. I loved it.
    I tried sleeping in the back fo the truck with and with out canopy many times mainly due to rain or snow on the ground. tarp works just as good on a snowy ground and it keeps you warmer than a truck with a canopy.

funny story one weekend we were hunting elk in the cascades of eastern washington state think it was late nov. 4 feet of snow on the ground. me and my friend could either sleep in the cab of the truck (my father and his father were in the bed with a canopy)
    we built a small lean too so to speak out of pines we cut down. layed down a tarp then put our sleeping bags on the tarp. bright and early it had to be 10 degrees below too f'ncold to hunt. we heard some banging on the truck unziped our sleeping backs and saw it was our dads we walked over and there yelling to let them out LMAO. seems the canopy door was iced shut the windows and even the window between the cab and the canopy were iced shut( luckly they left one window about an inch open for air)
    They said they about froze to death. the truck doors and tail gate was even iced shut.

I owned or borrowed them all. Had the most fun with tent. Liked using a 5th wheel the best. Now I’m convinced that a small day pack, my favorite pillow and a Hilton really is the best camping.

My wife's idea of camping is any hotel without room service. While she's not a "princess" by any stretch of the imagination, she is pure city girl. My camping other than hunting trips died.
    A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.
    Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

I liked tent camping when everything fit into my 1985 Dodge caravan. The last time that I did it was when a hailstorm hit just north of flagstaff. The tent was blown over and the mattress was soaked. Since then I used the tent for storage and slept in the back of the caravan, using my quad for getting around. Since the Caravan died, I got into scuba diving and I don't go to cold places anymore. I must be getting older.
    AZCDL LIFE Member
    GOA Member
    NRA Life Member

As a city boy I only had theories about camping I needed to try one. One of those was that I could just stretch a tarp across the bed of my pickup and sleep in it.
    Well it rained, the tarp sagged and I was getting wet. Fortunately I had a smart dog I took with me camping and he finally looked at me as if to say screw this and jumped out of the bed of the truck and crawled underneath. I was not a complete idiot and joined him. It was much drier under there.

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before
    lol, was on Az strip, hunting late hunt, pal and I came across a couple guys who had not prepared for the weather there, it could be blue bird weather one day, and snowing like a banshee the next. any event, they ended up getting stuck, no tent, was sleeping in cab and bed of truck, no tarp, no bags, just blankets and shiat, best part of story was they had a cooler full of ""jimmys burritos'' youd buy from circle k jerk store. funny chiat, boys were about frozen when we found them, got'm outta their situation and had'm come to our camp, to warm up and get some vittles in'm. they about shiat when they saw our set up.
    Old army command tent for sleeping, and old half plattoon tent for gear and prep and storage, and a huge lean to with a flap for eating, with lotsa cover, table and chairs, couple heaters, and oh yeah the sleeping tent had a stove, which worked well.

one of the things ole steveo and i discovered long ago, if'n you're going, make it good and comfy, and we did, for over 30 years, the fishing and hunting camp, was like home without the wife, kids and freaken tv.
    Rj