Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate sporters. Anyone else?

If the rifle has a junked stock, crown damage, broken sight, etc I don’t see any issue cutting it down to something that might actually get used. Same with vintage cars. If it’s a survivor leave it, if it’s got issues or already been fudzed with go nut!
    I have a old 30/40 Krag sporter and it’s a ball to shoot when I can find ammo at somewhat reasonable prices.
    Just my $.02

Now I spend time unsporterizing guns.

I have both unmolested and sporter mil-surps. I restore the ones that can be done and fix up the ones that can't be restored but can be useful. One of my most accurate guns is a 1903a3 I bought for $100. Original C stock was reshaped previously, one machine screw holding action in stock, no buttpad, action drilled and tapped, no base, bolt handle bent. Might just take it on an elk hunt this year.
    I have rebarreled 3 or 4 1891 Mauser with NOS barrels and replaced some cut down stocks with originals I bought. Reblued them and refinished the stocks. One was a Naval parade rifle I had the small metal parts replated with nickel like it was originally done.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I have both unmolested and sporter mil-surps. I restore the ones that can be done and fix up the ones that can't be restored but can be useful. One of my most accurate guns is a 1903a3 I bought for $100. Original C stock was reshaped previously, one machine screw holding action in stock, no buttpad, action drilled and tapped, no base, bolt handle bent. Might just take it on an elk hunt this year.
    I have rebarreled 3 or 4 1891 Mauser with NOS barrels and replaced some cut down stocks with originals I bought. Reblued them and refinished the stocks. One was a Naval parade rifle I had the small metal parts replated with nickel like it was originally done.
    Might need some pictures on that parade rifle.
    Sounds like a purdy one.
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.