Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron Sights on Modern Battlefield

Red dots are nice but I still like irons. Gonna be picking up a back up 45 degree sights for the ar. Just like what was said above, batteries die and in a do or die I'd rather have back up just in case. Well hell old man, just break out the prescription red dot the boss lady gave Ya! LOL!

To answer the OP's question more directly, am seeing less and less use of iron sights on the battlefield. Just look at pretty much any current photos coming from the usual places: the troops are all running an optic. Even the MGs and SAWs are running optics as well.

Using sights = writing/reading cursive. Lost art, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhns View Post
    To answer the OP's question more directly, am seeing less and less use of iron sights on the battlefield. Just look at pretty much any current photos coming from the usual places: the troops are all running an optic. Even the MGs and SAWs are running optics as well.
    That’s what I’ve been seeing too. Though, I’ve spent a lot of time looking at pictures of the Russian troops in Ukraine and most had just irons. Only some had an optic. Do you think Russia/Ukraine is the exception?

This man has it covered.
    Name:  JY4jlw9b.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  8.3 KB

The Russians will catch up. Even the Chinese are running optics more and more.

I see most people these days running dots, woth a flip up style of iron sights, or in most cases polymer sights. The funny thing is that guys put these on their rifles and never zero the BUIS. They just have them there for looks.

Im going to be the ignorant ass in the room. Don't you have to turn on a red dot? Yes I am asking seriously. From my understanding of them its a battery operated device and you have to flip it on and off ... No?

I briefly looked though a red dot someone had brought to my place and that is all I know of red dot other than making holsters for guns that have em.

If its true you need a battery and time to turn it on and off .. I will stick with good ol iron and just keep my glasses updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Boriqua View Post
    Im going to be the ignorant ass in the room. Don't you have to turn on a red dot? Yes I am asking seriously. From my understanding of them its a battery operated device and you have to flip it on and off ... No?

I briefly looked though a red dot someone had brought to my place and that is all I know of red dot other than making holsters for guns that have em.

If its true you need a battery and time to turn it on and off .. I will stick with good ol iron and just keep my glasses updated.
    Aimpoint products last YEARS on a CR2032 battery.

Change the one in my T1 micro every birthday just out of OCD...always on...suppose to last 5-7years.

Never ran a battery out - but still run buis just in case Murphy tries some nonsense (...and zero is confirmed with ‘em every range trip)

Quote Originally Posted by semperfisurveyor View Post
    Aimpoint products last YEARS on a CR2032 battery.

Change the one in my T1 micro every birthday just out of OCD...always on...suppose to last 5-7years.

Never ran a battery out - but still run buis just in case Murphy tries some nonsense (...and zero is confirmed with ‘em every range trip)
    Really!! wow .. you can run it always on and the battery lasts a year!! .. ok that is looking a bit more attractive. I havent looked in a long time but arent they a small fortune. I guess the most expensive part is milling your gun to accept the sight.