Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Iron Sights on Modern Battlefield

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    NW Peoria
    Posts
    65

    Iron Sights on Modern Battlefield

    What are your thoughts, as far as iron sights only, on the modern battlefield? Weather it be urban, mountain, jungle, open desert, you name it. Are they still viable? Or do you think they're dead?

    Anyone have experience with 2-Gun competitions where guys run irons only? How do they compare overall to guys running magnified optics and red dots?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    675
    As a general rule... red dots are 50-100% faster to acquire than open sights. As we age the % goes up exponentially as the years increase.😐

  3. #3
    Senior Member John Kuhns's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    468
    Iron sights don't break. Or, if they do, then you had to work at it. Iron sights don't need batteries. They are always a good options. I lgged out with my service rifle and iron sights so the whole idea of competing with optics is not setting well with me. But then again, I am now closer to 60 than I am 50 not to mention most of the military teams have moved to optics and with that so has the civilian crowd.

    Always keep iron handy in case the glass breaks and of course train with them on occasion.

  4. #4
    Senior Member elguapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    448
    I have learned to shoot USING the iron sights. Red dots, other Optics are cool, but gimme Irons, at least as the backups to the others.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    NW Peoria
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhns View Post
    Iron sights don't break. Or, if they do, then you had to work at it. Iron sights don't need batteries. They are always a good options. I lgged out with my service rifle and iron sights so the whole idea of competing with optics is not setting well with me. But then again, I am now closer to 60 than I am 50 not to mention most of the military teams have moved to optics and with that so has the civilian crowd.

    Always keep iron handy in case the glass breaks and of course train with them on occasion.
    I have tried so many times to adopt a red dot or low power variable optic but I keep going back to irons. They are so much fun to look down and when you can consistently hit a target most guys have difficulty hitting with some kind of optic, man does that feel good!

    I posed the question about irons still being viable on today’s battlefield because I’m once again at a cross road, should I spend $400-$500 on an Aimpoint or save the money? I’m definitely not interested in another low power variable or anything similar to an ACOG. I know target identification is important, I just can’t stand the bulk these types of optics add to a rifle.

    I’m sure I’m way over thinking all of this, just wanted to BS about it. Being a new forum and all.

    Keep sharing, thanks!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    NW Peoria
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by elguapo View Post
    I have learned to shoot USING the iron sights. Red dots, other Optics are cool, but gimme Irons, at least as the backups to the others.
    I’m right there with ya!

    What platform do you enjoy the most as far as irons go?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Larry D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Buckeye, Arizona
    Posts
    1,678
    I have long considered optics as cheating, but as I get older, I'm learning that I may need them in the near future.
    That being said, I love using irons. I tend to pick up a sight picture faster with irons plus I'm able to see a lot more territory downrange as opposed to being focused looking through a tube.

  8. #8
    As my eyes have aged, I’ve migrated to the Trijicon TA44...1.5x modest magnification but GENEROUS eye relief and a green horse shoe retical. Fast up close and plenty fine to 300m. Tiny rugged chassis and no batteries.

  9. #9
    Senior Member elguapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by GringoLoco View Post
    I’m right there with ya!

    What platform do you enjoy the most as far as irons go?
    So far, only AR related, I have an m4gery with a Matech BUIS for it. I had a knock off Aimpoint that Cowitnessed with the Irons. The next AR, lightweight, standard A2 upper (with those sights), and a stand off for either an aimpoint or eotech on one them Izzy mounts, that bolt to the carry handle, but ride above the hand guards. Pretty much nothing else on the AR......MAYBE, a Surefire. TBD.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before
    Posts
    2,231
    well now i went a couple years with just iron sites, i managed to hit what i aimed at, didn't put class on any of my hunting stuff till around 1990 or later, and then it was a fixed 3x9, still on the 270. using iron is fundamental to use of rifle, handgun,

    jmo though

    Rj

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •