Thread: Black powder pistol shooting info

Black powder pistol shooting info

This guy has some really good info on shooting and cleaning black powder pistols. Quite different than what I grew up with, but it really works and is much easier, safer, and cleaner.

http://geojohn.org/BlackPowder/RevolverMobile.html

I like his different take on chain firing with BP revolvers. Certainly not the same old crap you usually hear.

Quote Originally Posted by intel6 View Post
    I like his different take on chain firing with BP revolvers. Certainly not the same old crap you usually hear.
    Amen to that.
    I bookmarked that site to read later.
    Black powder revolvers are a real hoot.
    A few years back, I brought a pair of stainless Ruger New Army revolvers to a group shoot. I wound up with a line of mostly younger guys wanting to fire them. They were blazing away as fast as I could load them.
    I'd like to think that some of those guys became black powder enthusiasts.

I picked up a almost new Stainless Ruger Old Army and have really been having fun with it. I cast balls and conicals for it and picked up a mould to make those heavy 250 gr, hunting bullets, Kado is the name I think? Got some triple 7 to work up some heavy loads just because I can.

Quote Originally Posted by intel6 View Post
    I picked up a almost new Stainless Ruger Old Army and have really been having fun with it. I cast balls and conicals for it and picked up a mould to make those heavy 250 gr, hunting bullets, Kado is the name I think? Got some triple 7 to work up some heavy loads just because I can.
    Legendary Guns has conversion cylinders on the shelf for that Ruger. They aren't cheap, but they had 3 or 4 on Saturday.

I thought about one of those but if I was going to do that I might as well just shoot my 4.2" Redhawk in .45 Colt and make things easier. I like shooting the ROA, I usually make a shooting day out of it and then clean it up and put it away for a while. It is getting to be that time again as it has been a while since I shot it last. Got a new set of grips for it a while back just to make it a bit different, see crappy pic below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROA grips.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	1014

During the .22 shortage, I traded a guy a couple of 550 packs for this unfired Pietta 1851 Navy. I found the site when I was looking around for info on shooting it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1851 navy.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	1024