Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Security

Home Security

I need a little guidance, please. I'm looking for a video home security system; records to a memory stick, about 3 or 4 cameras, works well at night, doorbell, EASY TO USE, and I really don't want to subscribe to anything. There are so many different ones (SimpliSafe, Reolink, Ring, Blink, etc.) it's kind of confusing.
    Who can recommend one? Thanks.

I use Reolink. They see around 10~15 yards at night and great during the day. They send alerts to a cellphone app when they detect somebody and simultaneously start recording. You get the alerts around 1 or 2 seconds after they detect somebody.

I've got some inside, some outside, and the outside ones run on solar panels, the inside on AC power. No subscriptions or anything like that, just buy em, set em up and connect them to your WiFi and you're done.

To drill down on your options, wired or wireless? Remember wireless cameras require power so if you need to run a cable Power over ethernet is best, even works with Coax cameras if you use Baluns at each end, how many cameras do you need, and any future needs or wants.
    I like NVRs, Network video recorders. They hook to Inet and can send text or email on alarm. All the new ones have Apps where you can watch home from remote location and most have rewind and playback from remote also. Most are made in China, night owl, Swann, Lorex, etc.

I’m shopping for my third upgrade and the big things I’m looking for are resolution 4K, frame rate, at least 30FPS at full resolution, and Facial rec, which is not for identification but it eliminates false alarms because the unit know the bad guy has a face, not just movement.
    A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.
    Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Yeah, forgot to mention you can watch from anywhere on your smartphone and you can also listen and talk to the miscreants if you want to.

Oh, and last but not least, you can turn an alarm siren on/off from your smartphone. You can also pan and tilt the cameras.
    Went out of State a couple of years ago and got into a debate with Mrs. Flash over whether or not I had locked the gun safe.

Opened the app and looked, and the safe door was closed. That was a great feeling.
    Last edited by Flash; 09-04-2021 at 01:26 PM.

Yeah, this is all new to me.
    Wireless is what i'm thinking. My neighbor has Ring and he likes it okay. I've been thinking about Reolink, seems to get better reviews than most. I'm still in the research phase right now.

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before
    i have the ring door bell camera, its just okay, take way too long to open and download present time, by time it loads person at door is gone, am goinna go another route, gonna look into the reolink, i have arlo cameras now, and i like them, but...................always looking for a good time catch'm up
    Rj

Quote Originally Posted by knockonit View Post
    i have the ring door bell camera, its just okay, take way too long to open and download present time, by time it loads person at door is gone, am goinna go another route, gonna look into the reolink, i have arlo cameras now, and i like them, but...................always looking for a good time catch'm up
    Rj
    I'm trying to be smart about this, would like to do it once and be done. Probably too much to ask.

so here is my $0.02 worth...

I have both RING cameras, and RING alarm systems in both houses.

The RING cameras are good, BUT there is alot of latency in getting real time video or answering when someone is there.

The RING alarm is another story. I am EXTREMELY happy with the alarm systems. The app runs quick and smoothly. The alarm runs quick and smoothly. Alerts/arming/disarming are almost instantaneous, VERY quick. Add to that the fact that I own the system for around $250, very easy installation, very good customer support, AND professional monitoring for $100/yr, I like the system. Also, it has cellular backup if your power and/or internet is interrupted.

All of the above work well for me, even in Ajo. I have had contractors tamper with my alarm system in the Tucson house, and got alerts instantly on my phone that there was tampering, and that the system was running on cellular backup.

All that said, the alarm is a whole different animal than the doorbell cameras. Costco has the alarm system on sale right now, and RING is having a huge sale on their website right now too.

If you have any questions on these, reach out, I may have answers since I have had both generations of alarms and cams over the years.

Thanks Mark, I really appreciate it.
    I'm in the process of figuring pluses and minuses of everything right now. If I have any questions I will certainly reach out.

Please do, I have had those systems for years.