Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have a Fish Pond?

Anyone Have a Fish Pond?

Or a large tank....or a small tank?

I was given charge of Daves 55 gallon aquarium which had sat idle for several years.
    A buddy offered me 2 large goldfish to kick it off.

So...several water changes, 35 pounds of gravel, new air stones, new filter setup, a shiatload of scraping, scrubbing, and general applications of elbow grease, it was ready for its 2 inhabitants.
    I let them acclimate for a couple of weeks, then added 6 more feeder goldfish.

So far, so good.

Fast forward a few months - the tank is healthy and thriving. The feeders have grown quite a bit and I've added a few other species to the mix.

The point of all this is that it's time for the goldfish to move along. When I lived in town, I had a small fish pond out back that was stocked with feeder goldfish that got to be quite large as far as goldfish go.

So if you want - or know anyone that wants - 2 big goldfish (6-8 inches) 4 smaller goldfish (3-ish inches) and an algae eater (4-ish inches), just let me know.
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before
    uh tacos, small fry fish that size, if deep fried will make bones eatable, taco time baby

Nah. I hate fish tacos.
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Plant them in the garden and let them feed the plants. I mean they are feeders for a reason.

It's likely gonna come down to that, Bawb.
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

What kind of algae eater? Chinese or Plecostamus? If it's a Plecostamus, put him up on Craigs list. He'll go pretty fast.

Common plecos often out grow the tank they are in and given away just like Larry is doing.
    One other option would be to see if you can get a local pet shop to take them but being low quality feeders who knows.
    Oceans Floor is one of the biggest fish shops in the valley so you can give them a call

Quote Originally Posted by Bawb View Post
    Common plecos often out grow the tank they are in and given away just like Larry is doing.
    One other option would be to see if you can get a local pet shop to take them but being low quality feeders who knows.
    Oceans Floor is one of the biggest fish shops in the valley so you can give them a call
    we gave our 3 oscars and 2 Plecostamus(sp) to ocean floors years ago. cool people over there.
    each fish took a separate 5 gallon bucket. the Plecostamus were bent around the bucket and tail out of water. the oscars had to lay on there side with tail up too. Maybe 3-4 lbs each. we had a almost 200 gal aquarium got all the fish when there were the size of a quarter LOL.

we feed the oscars 6 dozen feeders a week.

I have 3 bottom feeders.
    1 is a Bristlenose pleco. I'm keeping him as they typically only grow to about 4 inches. I learned a while back that if you don't want a prehistoric looking small whale, you have to avoid the cheaper pleco's.

The other 2 are Chinese. I'm keeping the smaller of the two.
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry D. View Post
    I have 3 bottom feeders.
    1 is a Bristlenose pleco. I'm keeping him as they typically only grow to about 4 inches. I learned a while back that if you don't want a prehistoric looking small whale, you have to avoid the cheaper pleco's.

The other 2 are Chinese. I'm keeping the smaller of the two.
    yeah there pretty cool looking but man to they grow fast.

one tank we had before kids was about 80 gals. we had bought a eel. figured the oscars ate it. we were done with the fish tank scene for a while so gave it all to some denists office. was cleaning out the tank pulled the bottom filters out and this long ass snake thing was under there (think is was a hongkong eel?) when we got it like 6-7 years prior it was like 3 inchs long and smaller than a pencil in dia.. this thing was almost half the length of the tank and fat. I dont know how it survived for so long. you could see scrape marks/scares on its body from the plastic filters that set at the bottom of the tank. was a pretty cool find.