Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any off road explorers here?

Any off road explorers here?

I'm thinking of starting up an off road explorer's club here in the Tucson area. I say "explorer's" because of the way I like to travel off road: Usually just meandering along pretty slow. Part of the reason is the terrain. It's got a lot of loose surface rocks which can roll you right over the edge if you're not careful or trails that just end because of a land slide, etc. The real reason though, is because I like to look around at stuff. Rock formations, old mining facilities, ghost towns, animals, nature, etc. Anybody interested in something like that?

I have been in the past, and am currently building up an XJ just to take my kids exploring and camping:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0557_223f4cc3f1714ed7a3e2e81a9d10573b2b265a23.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	4702

But I've had parts on backorder for over 2 months now... so build is on hold while I hope and wait for them to show up.

My middle two daughters are the most excited for this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0585_8590da6388bfe2ea735d9ec640de2cd3252a5ebe.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	4703

Nice project.
    A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.
    Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

I used to love it Still do just dont have the time till I get work under control.
    Wife and I used to do north rim alot, she liked going to the old dumpsites back in the 80's . out in the desert we used to hit a bunch of the old towns as well. but now there loaded with Parasites and meth heads.
    used to go down by safford alot in the 80's also cool stuff back then.

I've been going down south of Three Points and running in the washes. There were a lot of old mining operations down that way. This is what we've been exploring the area in. I got it as a partially assembled frame with lot's of boxes of loose parts. I had a hot little Ford V6 with an adapter that I installed in it. It has way more power than the trany can take so i have to baby it. I built it all up with a beefed up suspension, nice seats, five point safety harnesses, nice dash with lots of switches, etc. It's a pain to get into, an adventure to get out of, tough on the kidneys, loud and hot or cold depending on the weather. It's also very fast, a blast to drive and street legal for even more fun. It's like driving a supercharged go-kart! I love it!

Rails are alot of fun and cool, I always wanted to get one just to drive to work and back.

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before
    when i was a whole lot younger had the usual baja bug, a couple different rails, always had a jeep, grew up with a cj42a on ranch, for post hole digging, i still have a 2000tj turned into a crawler, thats the direction i went, but age caught up, couldn't get out of the rail fast enough, so it went away, sold one jeep, now once i get the crawler started and running its gone, but i do see one in my future just cause, a fella oughta have one, a jeep that is, nothing like getting out in the sticks, its great and what a feeling.
    good luck, never go alone, and or let someone know your intent, shiat happens, and can be ugly. maybe a SPOT to ensure you are known where to be, hated desert rescues, most could have been prevented, the ugliness that is.
    Rj

Quote Originally Posted by knockonit View Post
    when i was a whole lot younger had the usual baja bug, a couple different rails, always had a jeep, grew up with a cj42a on ranch, for post hole digging, i still have a 2000tj turned into a crawler, thats the direction i went, but age caught up, couldn't get out of the rail fast enough, so it went away, sold one jeep, now once i get the crawler started and running its gone, but i do see one in my future just cause, a fella oughta have one, a jeep that is, nothing like getting out in the sticks, its great and what a feeling.
    good luck, never go alone, and or let someone know your intent, shiat happens, and can be ugly. maybe a SPOT to ensure you are known where to be, hated desert rescues, most could have been prevented, the ugliness that is.
    Rj
    Whole lotta truth in this post.
    Bodies recovered in the desert aren't pretty.
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Yeah, I always file a flight plan on where I'm going and I don't deviate from that. Sometimes, I go by myself but I'm always prepared. I take lots of tools, spare parts (everything from radiator hoses to tire patch kits to a complete ignition system from the points to the spark including the plug wires), 5 gallons of water, extra fuel, traction plates for getting unstuck, etc. etc. I even carry a complete CV joint with the tools needed to replace it! I also carry a pistol in a shoulder holster because a belt holster is to hard to get at while sitting in the deep bucket seat with the five point harnesses buckled and often a rifle. Flares, beacon, GPS unit, rope, a full first aid kit, maps, air compressor, survival gear are all in there too. My Trail Rail has a spare tire and a winch and enough of power to outrun anything off road except for maybe a dirt bike. On top of all that, I program my GPS unit with Waypoints for the nearest civilization in case I need help. My biggest fear off road in the area that I go, is drug mules. They will shoot! Illegals just run.

I've spent many years going out alone and not doing any of those things. No cell phone even till maybe 2005, just fairly well was equipped.
    Couldn't tell anyone where I was going anyways because I was exploring the state and never knew where I was going to end up.
    Just handled any problems that arose, thankfully there where not many people problems. But getting old now and my stamina is not what it used to be. I know I could not hike out if I had problems like I used to be able to do. Plus the bones are getting brittle, broke legs bones twice in the past 3 years.
    It was good fun while it lasted.