Thread: ATF at it again - Requests cease & Desist letter on AR type Pistols (Honey Badger)

ATF at it again - Requests cease & Desist letter on AR type Pistols (Honey Badger)

Don't know where this will lead, but they are at it again. What about the current owners are they going to have to register these pistols as SBR's ? The GOA has a button to send Trump a letter go to the web site.

Below is the letter they sent the manufacture:

Crap - the forum won't let me upload the PDF letter because of size. Go to GOA website I'm sure there is a link there.
    Light them up

I don't usually direct people to arf.com but here's a page with a link to a notice from the manufacturer with links to the ATF letter and their response.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Q-...TF/122-757287/

looks like the link to the ATF's cease and desist letter is broken but the manufacturers response letter link works.

further down in the arf.com thread is a link to a GOA petition.
    Last edited by aroyobob; 10-07-2020 at 07:57 PM.

From the Honey Badger response letter.

The Letter bases its directives on a determination that “the Honey Badger is properly classified as a ‘short-barreled rifle’ as defined by” the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. 5801–5872, because, inter alia, “[t]he objective design features of the Honey Badger firearm, configured with the subject stabilizing brace, indicate the firearm is designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder.” The Letter, however, does not reveal the standard applied by the Boston Field Division (“Division”) in concluding that the addition of a stabilizing brace—an orthotic device designed and intended to provide a shooter with the ability to more safely use a heavy firearm—renders “the firearm . . . designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder.” That omission is troubling because the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (“FATD”) has previously concluded, on multiple occasions, that firearms equipped with similar stabilizing braces arenotdesigned and intended to be fired from the shoulder.2 Moreover, ATF has not promulgated regulations or other publicly available guidance documents that purport to establish a standard upon which such a determination could be based.3The Letter’s failure to identify a legal standard or address apparent conflicts with past rulings raises serious concerns about its lawfulness.

Interview here with the owner of SB Tactical about the situation.

ATF: Your brace is really a stock and makes that pistol is an SBR
    SBT: Can you tell me what about the brace makes it a stock?
    ATF: No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJEHb5H37Do

Yeah this is a bunch of B.S. I seems like these idiots pop up every year or so with another ruling "Right/Wrong/Indifferent".

I thought the 1996 firearms bill ? was going to fix this problem. Thanks NRA for such a great job !
    Light them up