Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off roading?

Off roading?

Hey, anybody here do any off roading? Dune buggies, sand rails, Baja Bugs, SXS, etc? I built a Trail Rail that we use to go explore old mining trails and such. I'm looking for any other persons who also like to just cruise around on old trails and explore old mining areas, ghost towns, nature, etc. Wives, girlfriends, etc. are all welcome. (I had to say that so my wife doesn't beat me!!) We've been exploring the old mining communities around the Buenos Aires Wildlife Preserve south of Three Points, have also been down to South of Patagonia near the border. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8250846.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	4437

That's a great looking rig.
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Duneshoot likes to go offroading. I love it but am always at work. when it cools down I will probably start going if I get some time.
    I usually just like driving around on old dirt roads to check out the country. love it up in the pines and mainly up on north rim.
    the Jeeps pretty much done too just working out a few bugs and wanna get a winch before I hot off road

Yeah, I';ll have to wait for it to cool down a lot too before I go on any expeditions. It's way to hot right now.

We still go, have a nice cab with AC

Quote Originally Posted by DuneShoot View Post
    We still go, have a nice cab with AC
    Isn't that kind of like sitting in your living room and watching off road videos? Just kidding! It's still off roading.

I call it luxury off-roading
    Looking to find a specific small trailer so we can start camping.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneShoot View Post
    I call it luxury off-roading
    Looking to find a specific small trailer so we can start camping.
    That's were I'm at, I've hiked, backpack camped, had a hugely build Bronco, a couple 4X4 pickups, a couple built up ATVs, a built up Jeep, and now, I'm doing a light build up of a Lexus GX460. Luxury, light towing capacity, much more interior space than the Jeep, a great 4X4 and suspension systems, and did I say luxury.
    A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.
    Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Those GX460's are nice! Are you planning a lift and better shocks?

Here's mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	awning.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	248.7 KB 
ID:	4439

Name:	IMG_8453.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	4440

Nice Tacoma:

I'm at a point where I'm stuck, did lift, shocks, springs, winch, front skid plate, snatch points, and front lights. Only have 3 of 5 wheels I need and shipments, imports are all Covid up,. may not be here until end of August.

So I can't get tires, can't measure clearance for garage, so can't decide on roof rack, don't know if I will need a rear bumper/tire carrier or if I can put the larger tires underneath and I'm reluctant to do anything serious with street tires. Without the roof rack I don't want to install top front and side lights until I see if I'm going to put a rack on. Without the lights mounted I don't know if I want the switch setup I put on the Jeep, I loved it but may not need it on this if I don't do the other lighting.

Then there are sliders. I am not into the crazy stuff I used to do and this is for the wife to go along, who feels a dirt road is 4-wheeling, I don't know if I need sliders. What was that old story for the want of a nail the battle was lost. Well for want of 2 wheels, I can't do squat.

I don't know why these images rotated 90deg and I can't find a spot to fix them but here is what I have so far.

Name:	20200726_141505.jpg 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	4441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200726_142519.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	4442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200726_142523.jpg 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	4443
    A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.
    Vladimir Ilyich Lenin