Thread: Drilling a gas port on ar barrel

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before

Drilling a gas port on ar barrel

Well, years ago, and really years ago, i learned a tad about machine work, well really its enough to make myself dangerous around mills, lathes ect. and i really enjoy welding shiat, nothing like melting metal together,
    anyway,
    i picked up some green mt. barrels, nice SS 20 inch units, not threads on end of barrel, but absolutely nice crowns, but also no gas hole, so, in my search to learn how to do this, it was and is quite easy if one has a tad of patience, i managed to make up a jig for barrel, hard part was leveling and getting barrel correctly horizontally, and then drill the snot out of it, well sorta, had a fella steer me towards the right shop for the right drill bits, the even bigger issue was, what size to drill, so, i chose to go on the smaller size, for starters, and give the barrels some use to see if they needed more gas, of course the option was to go with max, hole and go with a adjustable gas block, but i hate the damm things, once you start adjusting, it sometimes never ends, different rounds create different deals.
    so i went or am going this route, have drilled two, and assembled one, now i need to take it out and run at least a hundred or so, maybe more to see what if..also will run a few different round types,
    one of the things i have learned is, patience to this end or success will elude you for sure, although i am anxious to see how they shoot.
    happy tuesday, just living onward in the dream
    Rj

That's way more ambitious that I am.

Any reason not to use the same size hole that is on your favorite shooter? To be clear, I assume you have an AR that works well for you.
    Why not find out what size they used on that barrel and drill the same size hole?

Just curious.
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Much like the coveted "sure thing" location , location, location, each length of barrel has a specific supposed gas port size, colt and the others pretty much simplified it, so the goal was to avoid the adjustable gas block and experiment with ammo loads and determine go small or go BIG. lol

just cause some gemoke did it, and it worked does not mean it will work for all, as i'm a believe of once given info, to fine tune to what is in my best interest. NOthing like a blue print, with an eraser.
    Rj

Quote Originally Posted by knockonit View Post
    just cause some gemoke did it, and it worked does not mean it will work for all, as i'm a believe of once given info, to fine tune to what is in my best interest. NOthing like a blue print, with an eraser.
    Rj
    Ah yes grasshopper, but you forget, today they use computers, CAD/CAM. Unworkable designs can be made and remade in mere seconds. Erasers take time and leave traces of former mistakes.
    A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.
    Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by ynotaz View Post
    Ah yes grasshopper, but you forget, today they use computers, CAD/CAM. Unworkable designs can be made and remade in mere seconds. Erasers take time and leave traces of former mistakes.
    Yes and the end result will be a lot of SCRAP. My recommendation (Complain if you want to) but in bowels of AR15.com, are pages upon pages of info directly related (from Stoner on). Note: I'm not an AR guy, but I'm the guy that always ask WHY ? Sometimes you get answers, sometimes you don't. But its not going to be easy.

Arfcom Bowels..... Pages and Pages Sounds like a tomb raider quest as Arfcom often is.
    A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.
    Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

lol, its not a site i like, nor do i frequent it for years, lotsa of good information elsewhere, way too many keiyboard commandos for me, i feel so inadequate when i review the jt.
    Rj