Thread: Three Points rifle range

Three Points rifle range

I took my Grand Daughter and her Fiance to the Tucson Rifle club range at Three Points this morning. That is a really nice and beautiful range! It's just to bad the range guy is like some kind of range Nazi! First, the guy at the desk explained the rules but did so very vaguely. They're not posted anyplace that I saw. It was beyond common sense rules too. Stuff like no movement if the range safety lights are lit. If you're still in your car, stay there and if you're on the firing line, stay there. I got yelled at because I stood there behind the line with no weapon at all and loading a mag. He yelled at me and told me that if I do it again, he's going to throw us all out! Ok fine. It's your range! Then he rode his little golf cart over and yelled at my future grand son in law for being in front of the safety line while the range lights are lit. Hmmm. We were all in front of the safety line because we were all resetting our targets. That's why the cold range lights were lit! That was a poorly spent $45 for three people. I'll never go back!

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before
    Yip, a crappy visit to a ill managed range can ruin a day or even an idea of wanting to shoot, rules need to be inforced, but can imo be done without the major intimidation attempts, I a grown man and expect to be treated as such, intimidation only causes me to violate their space as well.
    I've seen enough on ranges of stupid shiat, it takes a special individual to police this activity, i couldn't do it, no patience for the stupid.

now most see why dirt shooters enjoy their freedom, however this is going to be tough to keep, as idiots can't seem to keep their area clean of trash, shame, pack it in, pack it out.
    best of luck next time out.
    Rj

Quote Originally Posted by knockonit View Post
    Yip, a crappy visit to a ill managed range can ruin a day or even an idea of wanting to shoot, rules need to be inforced, but can imo be done without the major intimidation attempts, I a grown man and expect to be treated as such, intimidation only causes me to violate their space as well.
    I've seen enough on ranges of stupid shiat, it takes a special individual to police this activity, i couldn't do it, no patience for the stupid.

now most see why dirt shooters enjoy their freedom, however this is going to be tough to keep, as idiots can't seem to keep their area clean of trash, shame, pack it in, pack it out.
    best of luck next time out.
    Rj

Ha, I'm the range Nazi when it comes to others setting up next to us.
    Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde

Yeah, I get being safe at the range and worrying about the people next to you but let's be reasonable! Muzzle sweeping after being already told more than once will get you tossed but you don,t start in on the first offense with the Number 10 attitude. I was standing in the safe zone..the so called "Be in when the range light is on" zone....and I was loading a mag. Just loading ammo into the mag with no weapon within reach and he unloaded on me. All of our weapons were on the bench and all had Chamber Flags in them. Then later, he busted my future grand son in law for being in front of the red line while the range safety light was on. Yup! He was! We all were because we were resetting our targets. He was standing there to help us reposition our target stands so they were more in line with the shooting tables. The range nazi busted him. I called it after that and we decided to leave. 15 bucks apiece for a half hour. To think I was going to buy a yearly membership!!?? Nope!

Casa Grande has a nice range (and Safford) and it is FREE! Avoid weekends. From far NW Tucson, travel time is almost the same as going to 3 Points.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tub View Post
    Casa Grande has a nice range (and Safford) and it is FREE! Avoid weekends. From far NW Tucson, travel time is almost the same as going to 3 Points.
    Been to the Casa Grande range many times.
    Always had a great time.
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

I regularly bash Ben Avery and I’ve hated it ever since G&F took it over. After getting sucked into going there sever times while it was under G&F control the experience just reinforced my opinion.

Well this week I had a group of friends in town. My buddy just bought his son a new over/under 20ga and he wanted to shoot clays. Since clays are now illegal on BLM land I was stuck meeting him at BA for clays, rifle, and pistol. I have to admit it was a pleasant experience. We went on Tuesday and while the range was unexpectedly full there was no line. We had a couple of contacts with ROs that were not what I had come to expect from previous visits.

The first was on the wobble clays range, we couldn’t get it to work and there were no instructions. We had to call the telephone number for help. When the range was opened someone forgot to unlock the control box allowing the purchase card to be read and giving access to the control button. The RO came by on the golf cart within a few minutes and apologized for the inconvenience. He stuck around for a bit to make sure the controller read the purchase card and we could get shooting.

The second was on the public range. We had several guns on the table and when my buddy laid his SIG MPX down he either forgot to lock to bolt open or laid it on the bolt catch releasing the bolt. When the range went cold and RO came by he just pointed at the MPX, no scowl or attitude. I opened the bolt, he took a quick look at the chamber to see it was empty and kept walking.

The third and final interaction was during a hot range. A different RO came up and asked if I was shooting full auto and I said yes. He said “we have a range rule, for full auto you must be sitting or prone”. I said OK and he walked off, no attitude or anything.

After years of bashing BA, I have to admit, this was a pleasant experience. I realize that the experience was one-in-a-row, but it certainly convinced me to stop avoiding BA and give it another try.
    “A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.”
    – Vladimir Ilyich Lenin