Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recipe

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before

recipe

one of my daughters knows that i really enjoy the outdoor cooking, especially if its cowboy style, using what ya got.

so they got me a new cook book and one on the way, the cowboy cook Kent Rollins, damm i made some of his slow cook chicken and holly jeebus is it good, i doubled up the batch, and had some for a soup, chicken casadias, chichen enchiladas, and a chimmy or two. best part is you can control the heat, as i have to due to the old gal unable to take on the what i like to call Tasty flavor, not too hot, but warm enough to bring out the real flavor of the meat.

any hows, i highly recommend his recipes, and or any other cowboy cook, simple shiat for simple folks
    Rj

that sounds good I'll have april look for one.
    were tired of eating the same olds stuff everyday been doing it for 57 years
    everyday its what we having for dinner nothing sounds good. lol

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before
    i'm always trying something new, old gal is somewhat hesitant at times, as she can't do spicy at all, i like mild to moderate heat, if it adds to flavor, lotsa heat takes away the taste for me, don't want to taste just hot, anyhows, found a couple new items to try, hordy hores, hehehe, have a few xmas parties to go to and need to bring a dish, gonna wow them with my culinary stupidity

yeehaw, tuesday already, happy days
    Rj

Here's a super simple and tasty one for the crock pot.

About a 3 pound pork loin roast.
    1 onion, diced
    1 jar La Victoria green chile salsa.
    Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste

Throw everything your crock pot and cook it until the meat is soft enough to shred.

Grab some tortillas and stuff your face. It's not great green chili, but it's good enough that I never need to throw any away. Plus it's really easy to start in the morning and have ready to eat when to get home from work.
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

One I like:
    PREP TIME
    10 Min
    TOTAL TIME
    8 Hr 10 Min
    SERVINGS

2 to 2 1/2 lb boneless beef chuck roast

1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning) Walmart

1 box (9 oz) frozen whole kernel corn

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

2 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce

Optional:
    Black Beans w/jalapeno

Chicken instead of beef

1 Rub entire surface of beef roast with Cajun seasoning. In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, place roast. Top with frozen corn, onion and bell pepper.

2 In small bowl, mix tomatoes, pepper and pepper sauce. Pour over vegetables and roast.

3 Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.

4 To serve, cut roast into slices. Using a slotted spoon, remove corn mixture and serve with roast.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry D. View Post
    Here's a super simple and tasty one for the crock pot.

About a 3 pound pork loin roast.
    1 onion, diced
    1 jar La Victoria green chile salsa.
    Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste

Throw everything your crock pot and cook it until the meat is soft enough to shred.

Grab some tortillas and stuff your face. It's not great green chili, but it's good enough that I never need to throw any away. Plus it's really easy to start in the morning and have ready to eat when to get home from work.

I've done dozens of variations on crock pot Green Chili Pork Stew, AKA "Chili Verde".

My favorite is to use less salsa and more veggies. I use 1 lb. tomatillos, 1 bell pepper, 1 large tomato, can of green chilis, 1 tbsp. ground Cummin, 1 tbsp. ground Oregano and spice it up a bit with Cayenne Pepper if your wife can handle that. Also, try Herdes Green Chili Salsa or La Victoria chunky salsa works well. Doesn't have to be a green chili salsa. 1/2 cup of chicken broth adds some flavor.

I sometimes toss in a can of rinsed pinto beans a half hour before it's all done.

Some recipes say to roast the tomatillos and any green peppers used but I don't bother.

You can also top the finished stew with shredded cabbage, fresh tomatoes and crumbled goat cheese.

Your recipe is great for simplicity and fast to put together. Takes maybe fifteen minutes to cut up the veggies I use. But worth it.
    Last edited by RandyTF; 12-04-2019 at 05:48 AM.

I'll give that a try, Randy.
    Mine is more of a slap together burrito filling as opposed to a meal by itself.
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Thanks for the post. Watched a couple of his videos and going to have to try his chicken fried steak.

My recipe for crock pot shredded pork.

Cut the pork into 2 or 3 lbs chunks.
    Salt pepper then brown in a cast iron pan or grill.
    In the crock put, 1 clove of garlic per lb. meat, a yellow onion in quarters, a bell pepper and 2 cups of Knorr's Tomato based bullion. (I only find this in a real Hispanic grocery store)

Put it all together and cook.

Once it is done pull out the meat, let cool
    and shred. This is a basis for great BBQ, green chili, tamales stuffing, or just by itself for a Cuban style dinner (don't over cook so it is chunky not falling apart). For green chili I keep the onion and bell pepper to mix with the meat then add a large jar of Hatch 505 diced green chilies and cook on crock pot low for an hour or two. I keep the broth to mix in later if it starts to dry out or I want it wet. For BBQ I add a large bottle of sauce, usually Masterpiece from Costco, then warm up for an hour or two. No need to add any broth. If you like it wet keep the lid on. For sauce that sticks to the meat keep it off. I have spicy and sweet sauces to add when I serve for personal preference. Can't help you on the tamales that's my wife's thing. I just cook the meat. Best part is I can cook up 10 pounds of pork (with 2 crock pots) then freeze the meat in 2 pound bags with a ladle or two of broth. Don't have to have to eat green chili for a week...

Here's a slow cooker recipe for chicken:

Ingredients:
    4 chicken breasts
    16 oz. cream cheese
    1 dry packet hidden valley ranch salad dressing & seasoning mix
    Add extra water, since there no other juice while cooking

Steps:
    1. Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low
    setting for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-6 hours, until chicken
    is cooked through.

2. Uncover. Shred the chicken and mix all ingredients until incorporated.

3. Done

Flash,
    This has me curious. The cream cheese is certainly going to make it pretty rich.
    How do you serve this?
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.