Thread: Is there a "correct order" to do?

Is there a "correct order" to do?

Is there a correct order of things to do when reloading. I am new to this after 40 years of not shooting enough to reload. I bought a friends reloader setup and I am curious what is the starting point.
    1. Tumble brass for cleaning
    2. Pop primer and size
    3. Trim case
    4 load powder and bullet
    or
    1. trim case
    2. pop primer
    3. tumble
    4. load powder and bullet
    or
    1. Size
    2. trim
    3. tumble.
    Suggestions. We never tumbled brass before, we just inspected and went to loading.
    Thanks,
    Thom
    AZCDL LIFE Member
    GOA Member
    NRA Life Member

I know people who do it in 2 of the 3 ways you've mentioned. #2 won't work as you have to trim after sizing. What you're discussing is for bottleneck cartridges and not necessary with more or less straight walled handgun cases or even some straight walled rifle cases using light loads as generally speaking, they don't stretch and don't need trimming.

I use your #1 method and have for years. Informationally only, you left out re-prime.

With respect to tumbling, when I started reloading for my Dad at age 9, tumblers didn't exist and we used 0000 steel wool to clean cases. Today you can tumble in media or wet tumble or just wet clean by soaking and swishing. I tumble in media as the wet method is a PIA for me. Others don't find it to be so. Either way works and has for years.

Rifle cases?

Tumble, lube, deprime & size, tumble to get lube off, prime, load.

Thanks Flash I forgot to include the prime step.
    DuneShoot, Why tumble to get the lube off? Isn't it easier to just wipe off ? I only have a single stage.

Thanks,
    Thom
    AZCDL LIFE Member
    GOA Member
    NRA Life Member

lube can kill primers and make the powder burn erratically.

On my single stage I do them in batches of 100. So I tumble 100 at a time to remove the lube.

Let's put it this way. I have been reloading for over 60 years and I've never done anything but wipe the lube off. Only had 2 primers fail to go off in that time, both Wolf Small Rifle, and when I took the loaded cases apart, I found neither had any priming compound in them.

I've also never had a squib and my precision rifles don't have problems with groups opening up, so I imagine the powder is burning fine.

And, if you're reloading handgun straight wall cases, you probably will use carbide sizing dies so there won't be any lube on them since you're using a single stage press.

YMMV
    Last edited by Flash; 09-13-2019 at 06:25 AM.

As far as case cleaning after size, decap, trim, if your only doing a handful, no problem, just wipe them off, but if your doing the first case prep on 2000+ cases, I'm not going to stand around and wipe all 2000 of them - YUCK. Tumbling works !

For me I'm not quite done with that first step. I always check the size of the primer pockets (Since I also swage after de-cap), to insure they were swaged correctly or if the pockets have been streched (most of the time I have no idea who shot that brass or if its been reloaded 15 times). Handling sticky cartridge's, is another - YUCK !

I'm cheap and use PAM spray so another tumble or wash needed )