Thread: and.. we all fall down!

and.. we all fall down!

Ah the songs we remember from our youth.

So I hit the road early today with the missus for some exploring. We head out to Sugerloaf on the Vee and wow its just gorgeous. I wanted to go further in but you need an off road pass to ride further and I wasnt dressed for a day long hike so we went in some and just explored some trails for an hour.

Afterwards we decide to head for Barnhardt trail. According to what I had read its very nice but there is 5 miles of fire road after your get off the 87. Cool. Thing is it must have rained out there because sections were rutted mud. It was interesting with a passenger and a full tank of gas to navigate and while it slid around but it was fun. Most of it was dry and navigable but it was tight.

This was an exploring run to see if we would want to go up for a hike at a future date and we managed to get up to the trail head and back down a steep fairly treacherous wet muddy section with very little fan fair.

Then I get on the asphalt after 10 miles of dirt and go to make a tight U turn and misjudged and ... sing it with me .. WE ALL FALL DOWN!

DRAG! I havent so much as dropped a bike in the drive way since 1992. IT was almost zero miles and hour so the wife just took a little road rash on her forearm but I tried to protect the bike so I kind of landed on my shoulder and head to cushion the fall for the bike and my wife.

FUK .. just over a month old and just done with the break in but it was super minor scraping on the bikes crash bar and luggage that I was able to fix as soon as I got home. I did a fair job of using my body to cushion the fall of the bike and passenger .. But .. I fell down go boom. Damnit!!!

Still it was a fun time but I expected to fall down in the dirt .. not on the damn asphalt.

Nice thing is .. Got it up on its wheels and it turned right over and rode the 50+ miles home none the worse .. well except for those scratches!

Me .. a sore shoulder and a headache and a dented helmet. Meh .. I will live.

Gravel on the road cause it?

Used your head to cushion the fall for the bike......LOL.... definitely won’t hurt anything that way !
    Glad you both are ok.
    Got some neat hikes up in to some riparian areas up that way.

Glad that your wife only got a little road rash. She might not get back on if bigger. Was there mud in the tires left over after you got on the asphalt? I have to admit I am jealous. My wife was involved in a MC accident when she was 17. She won't get on another bike at all.
    Thom
    AZCDL LIFE Member
    GOA Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Gravel on the road cause it?
    It was 100% operator error. I so wish I could blame it on something else but in the end ... I messed up. I came down off the dirt/gravel portion and the gps said make a left onto "old Bush hway"

I took the left onto the asphalt and in about 1/2 mile I would hit the 87 and head home.

Then I remembered RJ posting something about the old Bush hway and decided I would turn around and explore it since it was somewhat paved.

The road isn't maintained and it drops off sharply on either side and I was on a somewhat steep incline.

Tried to make a u turn in the 7ft width but being on a hill and either side of the paved section dipping sharply I realized I was going to be in the cactus. I knew I couldn't reduce my turn radius so I grabbed front brake and my handlebars were already turned to far.

Like a dufus... after 40 yrs of riding .. I basically tipped to the inside of the turn. No great speed but it's still a motorcycle close to 500 lbs, then a passenger.

Alone with no passenger I probably would have given it gas and try and break traction on the rear wheel but best I could do was a somewhat awkward controlled sacrificial fall.

No excuses! I messed up!

Still I cleaned up the damage to the bike and you would have to look for it and my personal body damage will heal. I am very happy I had my helmet on. My head hit hard. Ever hit your head so hard it clears your sinuses! I am breathing freely.
    Last edited by Boriqua; 09-02-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    Glad that your wife only got a little road rash. She might not get back on if bigger. Was there mud in the tires left over after you got on the asphalt? I have to admit I am jealous. My wife was involved in a MC accident when she was 17. She won't get on another bike at all.
    Thom
    My 62 yr old wife said "we bought an adventure bike to go adventuring. I had a blast"

She is still laughing that we didn't fall in the dirt but on the road! Oh the shame!

Awsum pictures. sounds like a good time also. suck about dropping the bike glade both of you didnt get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    Awsum pictures. sounds like a good time also. suck about dropping the bike glade both of you didnt get hurt.
    You know .. except for dropping a brand new bike .. it was an excellent time but .. I forgot how physical riding dirt was especially when its loose. I havent played in the dirt in YEARS and while my left shoulder and head still feel it from the fall what surprised me this morning is how sore I am in the rest of my body!

Granted I am not nearly in the shape I once was but .. my stomach feels like I did 100 crunches and my triceps havent felt this taut in quite some time. My forearms and biceps feel like I did a mess of curls and my lower back and legs feel like they got a workout too. Even my obliques have some heat on them. Oh and yea .. I forgot there were some muscles between your shoulder blades!!

Guess running up and down loose hills with a passenger and keeping it all together was more work than I remembered. Hmmmm maybe I need a full on dirt bike ... you know .. as part of my new exercise program!

As far as the bike .. I think if I didnt tell anyone I dropped it they would be hard pressed to see any damage after my repairs. Only thing left scratched up is one of the hand brush guards and .. them being scratched up is almost a requirement anyway.

The old front brake grab at slow speed. We have all done it. Glad that you and your bride and the bike faired OK.