Thread: Valmet M76 (.223)

Valmet M76 (.223)

I got my hands on one. Itís in excellent condition and doesnít look like itís been fired much. One problem, it didnít come with any magazines(probably why it wasnít fired much). I knew going in that magazines are scarce, to say the least. Iíve read about converting them. My question is, does anyone have first hand experience with converting magazines for this rifle.

You might want to check in one one of the AK boards.
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Ok, thanks

When I used to frequent the different AK forums, I recall threads about modifying the Bulgarian 223 mags (made for the Arsenal SLR-106 series of rifles) by grinding/filing the mags to fit the Valmet mag well. However, I don't recall how successful that really was but I think the Bulgy mags came to closest to work. Of course, these days even the Bulgarian 223 mags aren't all that easy to find but at least they're not like Valmet 223 mags that sell for $200 to $300 a piece when you can find them.

That's the problem with AK's chambered for the 223 round. Every manufacturer seemed to use their own proprietary magazines so there is really no interchangeability. Many have tried using modified Galil, Weiger, Arsenal, etc mags in the Valmet but I'd bet that only factory mags will properly feed the rounds up to the feed ramp and work reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by brandyspaw View Post
    When I used to frequent the different AK forums, I recall threads about modifying the Bulgarian 223 mags (made for the Arsenal SLR-106 series of rifles) by grinding/filing the mags to fit the Valmet mag well. However, I don't recall how successful that really was but I think the Bulgy mags came to closest to work. Of course, these days even the Bulgarian 223 mags aren't all that easy to find but at least they're not like Valmet 223 mags that sell for $200 to $300 a piece when you can find them.

That's the problem with AK's chambered for the 223 round. Every manufacturer seemed to use their own proprietary magazines so there is really no interchangeability. Many have tried using modified Galil, Weiger, Arsenal, etc mags in the Valmet but I'd bet that only factory mags will properly feed the rounds up to the feed ramp and work reliably.
    I did a quick Yahoo search and found this one on akforums. its pretty detailed with pics

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/16...ne-valmet.html

After I posted in this thread I did a search when I had more time and found a thread about doing the Bulgarian magazine modifications with some pictures. It looks like it requires less modifications but regardless of what mags you use the bottom line is if you can get them to become reliable. I tend to thing each individual gun and each person's talent in modding the mags come into play.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/in...-76/92-162941/

I was able to order an Arsenal magazine. I’ll see what I can do with it. I also came across a guy that 3D prints them. Hopefully, I can get something to work and I’ll be on the lookout for OE.