Thread: Short 6.5 Creedmoor build.

Short 6.5 Creedmoor build.

Im doing this on the cheap to see if its worth perusing making more.

build parts:
    Savage 10 action, old 4.25 screw model, pre acutrigger
    16" stainless 6.5 creed barrel
    walnut savage stock, bedded and clearanced if the barrel doesnt fit.
    mount and optics are unknown at this point.

Last hunting season i was carrying my wifes rifle on my pack and it was so damn tall, i kept hitting it on every branch around. I wanted to build something short so when i put a can on it, the length isnt crazy long. Im already all setup to load 6.5 so i went with that round. I found an article online that a guy took a 27" barrel and cut off an inch after shooting 3 rounds over a crono and taking the average. Turns out, you loose about 200fps at 16" and thats just fine by me! I probably went a little heavy with the barrel profile but without having my hands on something, i didnt know what i wanted. oh well.

I'll be trying to smooth out the savage as best i can via polishing and changing some angles on the bolt to get the lift weight down. The trigger will probably stay for now unless i hate shooting it and then i'll upgrade. If i can lighten up this older pre-accutrigger, i will.

The barrel showed up yesterday and i had to screw it together to see what its going to look like. The stock is on the fedex truck right now and i should have a good idea of profile and look when it shows up. I need to get a savage barrel nut wrench and a better (non stock) nut and recoil lug.

I'll be threading the barrel for a QD brake and my can when i figure out a good way to hold this short barrel in my lathe without a steady rest.

here is the action and barrel. more pics and info as i build it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	3227

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before
    looks like fun in the future, just getting it assembled and tested
    Rj

Most accurate rifle I ever shot was a sako action with a 18" barrel on it in 308. I liked it so much I bought it in 1985 at a gun show. buddy of mine bought it a few years later for what I paid for it.
    That 16 should work nicely once you work up a load for it.

dont know what article that was but Rick Jamison wrote a similar one back in the 90s for shooting times. I believe it was for a 308 and one for a .22-250. since he wrote that some people have played with that same type of process.
    If I remember correctly P.O. Ackley also did the same in the 60s it was in his books .
    Flash might remember

Stock came in.

I ended up finding a factory walnut sporter stock that was new in box. Its not really what i wanted for this build but its light enough and will fit the bill for now. I will have to do a little sanding to open up the barrel channel a little.

Barrel nut and ground recoil lug are on the way as well.

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	3264

Name:	IMG_0607.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	3265
    two17 metalworks FFL/SOT
    purchase silencers and NFA gear HERE with no transfer fee's.
    cnc plasma, manual lathe/milling and cnc milling

Great build. I also think you might have gone a bit heavy on the barrel, but looks like you have the tools for fluting should you want to lighten it up a bit

nice looking rifle, now you have the fun of making a accurate load

got the precision ground barrel nut and lug today along with the savage wrench.

i'll see if i can get the stock hogged out for the fat barrel this week. Depending on the money making jobs that always get first priority.
    two17 metalworks FFL/SOT
    purchase silencers and NFA gear HERE with no transfer fee's.
    cnc plasma, manual lathe/milling and cnc milling