Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another cowboy with a slight twist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

Diags or Dikes (a portmanteau of "Diagonal CutterS" is pronounced "dikes") – as in the phrase "a pair of dikes" or "hand me those dikes" – is jargon used especially in the US electrical industry, to describe diagonal pliers. Dike can also be used as a verb, such as in the idiom "when in doubt, dike it out". "It is also the term used for hose clamping pliers that crush a hose, shutting off the flow of fluid with a pair of parallel surfaces that come together."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51Tk4hJ1igL._SL1001_.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	3209

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

Diags or Dikes (a portmanteau of "Diagonal CutterS" is pronounced "dikes") – as in the phrase "a pair of dikes" or "hand me those dikes" – is jargon used especially in the US electrical industry, to describe diagonal pliers. Dike can also be used as a verb, such as in the idiom "when in doubt, dike it out". "It is also the term used for hose clamping pliers that crush a hose, shutting off the flow of fluid with a pair of parallel surfaces that come together."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51Tk4hJ1igL._SL1001_.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	3209
    one of my earlier jobs was as an electrical mechanic. Hard but satisfying work and we built more than a few jewelry factories in the diamond district and worked on Multimillion dollar coops and condos owned by the rich and famous. It was great fun to sit in a big open space many times with an electrical plan and a few wires bringing power up, no studs no sheetrock just an open space and now it was time to distribute. Dikes was a part of your regular kit and I still have mine from that time. It was also when I decided to go back to school at night and finish up a degree.

After that I went to work in the display world and as you might imagine it was filled with UBER liberals and a more than fair share of Gay people. My boss at my second Museum gig was gay and while my crew and I were building out a space for a new museum exhibit I screamed to my lead guy "hey Rich toss me the dikes"

Well .. the face on my boss as he asked me "What" what did you just say" and I had to hold up the tool and show him what a dike was and that it had nothing to do with girls playing with each others privates. Sigh .. I realized hard my world had changed!!

Have to be perpetually outraged by something right??

I have heard people refer to them as End knips and side cutters but I have only ever known them as Dikes since the old guy who taught me about Electric only referred to them as Dikes.
    Last edited by Boriqua; 06-24-2019 at 12:55 PM.

I'm a retired Electronic Engineer and everybody in my business knows them as dikes or dykes also.

But about people who just have to be offended......

My first job in the business was in a Medical Electronics start up. We did Visual Field Plotters and some of the world's first ophthalmic lasers.

Anyway, I supervised the Test & Calibration lab and part of the job was adjusting certain things on Motherboards, like pots (potentiometers). This was done with a device we all knew as a "tweaker" because we tweaked the pots with it.

Got a new procurement agent in purchasing (female), went in and ordered 2 dozen tweakers. Next thing I knew I was in the President's office discussing sexual harassment with him.

Luckily for me and unlucky for her, he was a self taught Electronic Engineer. She almost got fired.

Here's what a tweaker looks like:
    Name:  70218982.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  4.9 KB

Fellas, being the son and brother of Journeyman Electricians, I do actually know what dikes are.

I also know about a little dutch boy with his finger in a dike. And I've seen fingers in dykes on the innerwebs.....
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

I was never an electrician, but as long as I've been alive, they have been called dikes. In fact this morning, I told my wife to bring out the BIG Dikes, since the little ones that I brought out back were not up to cutting a bunch of staples off. She went into the garage and returned with guess what "Dikes".

I wonder how many protesters have protested the International Brotherhood of Electricians ? There must of been many, since I looked over at Home Depot and they are now listed as "Side Cutters". LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Larry D. View Post
    Fellas, being the son and brother of Journeyman Electricians, I do actually know what dikes are.
    So did he use one of these

Name:  meridith_judith.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  111.5 KB

or one of these

Name:  Side Cutter Plier.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  38.1 KB

I'll never tell........
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.