Thread: who knows all about black powder

North central phoenix, since 78, SE Arizona on the ranch, before

who knows all about black powder

I was at a garage sale today and came across some basket cases, couple pistols, one was not cleaned after shooting and well we know where that went, not sure what to do with it, and the other is loose or needs some mechanical work. I have almost nothing in them, so was wondering who, what and how i should proceed. Both are pistols, appear to be italian, just not well taken care of, not sure if they can be salvaged, but what the hey.

thanks
    Rj

Pics help

i am picture challenged, sorry
    rj

Good scrub with hot soapy water.
    The Italians can be problematic to source parts for depending on manufacturer and how old they are.
    I can take a peek when I come up for the next load of ammo cans.
    Worst case scenario is they are really pretty wall hangers.
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

I wish I could help; I've got 3 (a pistol and 2 rifles) that I haven't bothered to shoot yet

-WRM

Quote Originally Posted by WRMorrison View Post
    I wish I could help; I've got 3 (a pistol and 2 rifles) that I haven't bothered to shoot yet

-WRM
    I'm with you. A friend bought a CVA Hawken kit and a Derringer kit and couldn't build em so he gave the kits to me. I built both and use them for decorations.

Just too lazy to deal with clean up probably.

Sooner or later, one of you guys is bound to have a .36 revolver you want to give me because I'm a really nice guy.

Or you'll sell it to me really cheap because I'm a nice guy.

Or you'll sell it to me because you don't mind dealing with an as*hole...... Gotta keep my options open.

On a side note, anybody ever fooled around with the .38 conversions? Always wanted one.
    Why is it that those that know the least, know it the loudest?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just as education is a poor substitute for intelligence, religion is a poor substitute for spirituality.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Parts can be had from Numrich and VTI Replica Gun Parts, but you need to know what brand and model it is to get the correct parts, and then you still might need to hand fit. I have an Armi San Marco and a Pietta. They are both 1851 Navy models. Some screws will interchange, but the cylinders will not. The Pietta I acquired unfired, from a member of the old site. The Armi San Marco was given to me. It needs some fitting of a couple parts.

well now, after a few days of using a penetrating oil by pyrol, and using a brass punch to tapped the cylinder shaft, the cylinder came off the shaft today, guess patience does have its place, i soaked it once a day, and gave it some taps, to work the juice in it, something i learned about removing broken studs and stuff, a while back, anyway, got it separated and soaking, and will get it cleaned up in the next few days and see what direction at that point, hehe, surprised me for sure.

the power of the internet and whats out there for info is just amazing
    Rj

Buy back fodder?
    Sent from chrisandclauida2's secret lair. AKA the crotchety crippled bastards hidden bunker.