PDA

View Full Version : Sight magnifier worth it or change the red dot?

Jamnmike
01-06-2019, 01:05 PM
I got this inexpensive red dot on my ar and its pretty much sighted in at about 50 yds but my eyes start getting blurry at that distance. Is a sight magnifier worth it? I saw one in a magazine somewhere but I'm pretty sure I can Google that dang thing. It's a flip up design so up close I can use the regular red dit but anything farther I would flip up and use it. Should I or should I not? My eyes aren't the same anymore. The red dot I have is a trinity force and it has 3 illuminated dots. Red, blue , green and it goes from light, dark , darkest. Pretty decent for the application I'm using it for which is just shooting around but would like to get more distance on the ar. It has a 16" stainless barrel with a competition brake.

RandyTF
01-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Red dit?

I've got a Vortex prism sight with their 3x magnifier and it works great. I didn't prefer the red dot combined with the magnifier however. It enlarged the dot too much. Eye relief is also short so that is a negative. Spending the same money on a 1-4x25 Vortex Strike Eagle is a better deal. I have that on another AR. But that isn't what you asked now is it?

Jamnmike
01-06-2019, 01:34 PM
The red dot I have now is fine or at least I think? But really don't want to interchange to a scope just to get distance. I'm thinking if i have the magnifier then the one i have would fit the application I'm looking for.

Jamnmike
01-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Red dit?

I've got a Vortex prism sight with their 3x magnifier and it works great. I didn't prefer the red dot combined with the magnifier however. It enlarged the dot too much. Eye relief is also short so that is a negative. Spending the same money on a 1-4x25 Vortex Strike Eagle is a better deal. I have that on another AR. But that isn't what you asked now is it?
Sucks typing on a phone with fat fingers. Lol

RandyTF
01-06-2019, 01:46 PM
I did a bit of research on the magnifier and there are lots of mixed opinions depending on the red dot and magnifier combination that you choose.

If you don't mind how your red dot is performing, just stick with it. Magnifiers are kind of clumsy and not likely going to make you happy like a decent scope would.

ynotaz
01-06-2019, 04:47 PM
^^^^ what he said. I've use a couple and primary arms has some that work well and have QD mounts but keep I mind what you are getting.

The magnifier magnifies the dot and the target; so a 3MOA dot @ 3X becomes 9MOA or covers a 9" target at 100yds. You see the target better but the Elk hides behind your dot.

Jamnmike
01-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Well phuck it. I'll just built an ar pistol and move the red dot. Then I'll buy a long range scope to get some yardage on the carbine. Damn things are cheap nowadays anyway. LOL. but after I get my sub
2k in s&w 9mm for my backpack rifle.

RandyTF
01-07-2019, 01:14 PM
Well phuck it. I'll just built an ar pistol and move the red dot. Then I'll buy a long range scope to get some yardage on the carbine. Damn things are cheap nowadays anyway. LOL. but after I get my sub
2k in s&w 9mm for my backpack rifle.

Can't have too many AR/scope combinations!! I am constantly changing scopes on different rifles. It's part of the fun. Magnifiers, not so much.

elguapo
01-15-2019, 12:55 AM
Dude, you getting old. And that means the color blue is shit for optics or anything in the dark or night. Went to 2008 SHOTshow, was off Freemont on one of them semi strip clubs. All good, till the tittyish dancers were bathed in the blue light. Big goddamn Blur.Yellow=good, Green=good, Red=good, Blue? Blurry as shit. Asked my optometrist about it when getting new perscription: "You are not a spring chicken anymore....welcome!" Also dude, everyone is different. What work for you wont for me, but RJ uses a scattergun and sorts us all out.

Jamnmike
01-15-2019, 01:10 AM
Dude, you getting old. And that means the color blue is shit for optics or anything in the dark or night. Went to 2008 SHOTshow, was off Freemont on one of them semi strip clubs. All good, till the tittyish dancers were bathed in the blue light. Big goddamn Blur.Yellow=good, Green=good, Red=good, Blue? Blurry as shit. Asked my optometrist about it when getting new perscription: "You are not a spring chicken anymore....welcome!" Also dude, everyone is different. What work for you wont for me, but RJ uses a scattergun and sorts us all out.

I hear yah, haven't used the blue or green just red but in the lines of the scatter gun? I'm kinda afraid to shoot my 12's. Afraid that I might fudge up my shoulder. Maybe I should downsize to a 20 gauge? Maybe........