PDA

View Full Version : Milsurps

knockonit
05-11-2018, 06:30 AM
So, who collects them, i've been known to have a few, for years i bought deep, mostly for trade and barter, and now at the end of my collection frenzy, am thinking i will start thinning the herd some, so gonna be offering up some 9130's, maybe a 44 or 38 or two, possible a garand or two, lol maybe a carbine or so.

also have a small collection of older shotguns, some really old, some so so.

i'll start a list and see where it goes
Rj

Cooperdisciple
05-11-2018, 07:18 AM
Hey Ric- thanks for directing me here.
I have a bunch of Garands, several carbines, a Mosin-Nagant 44, a few 1903's, a 1917, and a BAR. More than I need but they sure are fun.
I probably should sell most of them, but just can't make myself do it.

brandyspaw
05-11-2018, 10:30 AM
I got rid of most of my true mil-surps when I retired. Around the same time I had decided to start downsizing (actually cutting down on a lot of different things) in anticipation of a move to a smaller house. So I decided to get rid of my Mosin's, Enfield's and other cheap mil-surps that I'd accumulated in order to gain space but also because surplus ammo for them was starting to dry up.

So what I decided to keep (besides my handguns, hunting rifles and modern black rifles) aren't really what you would consider true mil-surps. But I decided to keep the rifles that are builds, like my FAL's, Cetme, etc, where ex-military rifles were de-milled into kits and built on US made receivers. So I'm not sure they'd be considered mil-surps but I decided to keep the builds because ammo like 308 and 7.62x39 is more common and cheaper. Sometimes I'm not sure that was a good idea or not but something had to go so I got rid of the cheaper stuff first.

h8pvmnt
05-11-2018, 11:52 AM
I collect all manner of Milsurps From Krags to Vietnam ERA SKS. Along the way there are p-38, and 1911-a1, 91's, 44's, Mausers, Garands, Carbines, 1903's etc etc etc.....

knockonit
05-11-2018, 12:00 PM
yeah its an addiction for sure, at least for me, just when i think i have what i need a new shiney to me piece of history pops up and wham, i'm back at it, lol, gotta love the addiction
Rj

John Kuhns
05-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Of course I collect them. Even have them set up according to rank. Winners on one side and in front. Losers in the back. Am now looking for some stuff not in the collection. A Krag for example. A Johnson rifle being another. The only Enfield I have is an M1917.

Larry D.
05-11-2018, 07:00 PM
I love 'em.
Can't get around much to shoot them anymore, but the pull is still there.

knockonit
05-11-2018, 07:02 PM
hey Larry, good to see you, and yeah, as noted, i tend to want to pare down the stable, but dang it, just when i think i can, i find that gotta have unit
hehe.

Larry D.
05-11-2018, 08:31 PM
hey Larry, good to see you, and yeah, as noted, i tend to want to pare down the stable, but dang it, just when i think i can, i find that gotta have unit
hehe.

Thanks Ric.
I pared my stable down by a LOT, but there always seems to be something else that catches my eye.

cjr
05-12-2018, 03:30 AM
I have sold most of my milsurps as they were better than money in the bank. I got to shoot and collect them, and now have money for retirement. I still have some fine pieces in the collection.

knockonit
05-12-2018, 05:05 AM
yeah, i just ordered a gahendra shotgun, not in the greatest of shape, as i don't have one, decided its time i did, so will see once it shows up.

I"m headed to geogia in a few weeks for a bit, found quite a few joints locally to review some possible purchase opportunities, love them midwest pawn and gun shops, I've been lucky enough to find a little jewel on occassion, who says i have enough. hehehe
Rj

elguapo
05-12-2018, 12:14 PM
All I have left is my '43 M44. The bolt is a slapper, and ammo, surprisingly started to go UP.....

cjr
05-17-2018, 07:10 AM
292 Some of the pieces in my collection

knockonit
05-17-2018, 07:23 AM
cjr, nice stuff, i attempted at one time to collect the accessories, i just plain ran outta room. as it is, my toy room is full and spilling out, ole gal says no mo, no mo. lol
Rj

cjr
05-17-2018, 04:50 PM
cjr, nice stuff, i attempted at one time to collect the accessories, i just plain ran outta room. as it is, my toy room is full and spilling out, ole gal says no mo, no mo. lol
Rj

The wife can't say much about these as I had them for more than 60 yrs.

DuneShoot
05-17-2018, 04:54 PM
292 Some of the pieces in my collection

Those are some nice collectables!

intel6
05-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Different kind of Milsurp

Martini .310 Cadet in it original configuration and original chambering.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/310_Cadet_web.jpg

Steyr M95 carbine

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/M95_Web.jpg

Paulgt2164
05-18-2018, 10:22 AM
I have a few, I like shooting them more than the modern stuff. First one I picked up that got me hooked was my 1915 Enfield. I also really like my K31. Steyr M95s are good for some drama too.

knockonit
05-19-2018, 06:13 AM
I"ve a few k31, boy howdy if a fella does his part they sure are accurate, as are the 98;'s, must be the fact the old man and his cronies talking about the late ww1 and ww2 weapons, that got me all giddy about the old iron, i've a gaggle of the us offerings, just so many to pick and choose from, so many one can add to the wall, fella just needs more room, ya think
Rj

intel6
05-19-2018, 08:05 AM
I really started liking my milsurps when I started casting and reloading for them as I was able to shoot them frequently. I probably like my K31 the best but also like my .303 and my mosin.

Dragonflydf
06-15-2018, 07:52 PM
What don't I have, Swiss 1911, k-11, k31,
German K98, Luger, P-38, C-96,
British SMLE,
Japanese Type 38, 99, 44
Russian 91-30, M44, AK
and US. M1865, M1873, M1883, 2 Krags, 3 1903s, 1917, 2 Carbines, 2 Garands and so on...

Wheelgunner
07-13-2018, 10:18 AM
Different kind of Milsurp

Martini .310 Cadet in it original configuration and original chambering.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/310_Cadet_web.jpg

Steyr M95 carbine

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/M95_Web.jpg
Nice! I've got a Cadet that was rechambered for .357 magnum. It's a sweet rifle, light and just deadly accurate.
Congratulations on having one in the original caliber. Do you load for it?

WRMorrison
07-13-2018, 11:03 AM
I've bought a few over the years, but don't have many of them now. One thing I'd like to find is a 9130 that'll shoot worth a damn. I don't care who made it, what the finish condition is, etc....I just want it shoot better than minute-of-basketball at 100 yards. I must have bought 5 or 6 over the years hoping for a good one, but never did find it. I entertained the idea of buying a case of them (back when they were plentiful and cheap) and then keeping the best of the lot, but I missed the boat. Would love to have a sniper model (even if it's a repop with the right parts), but that's out of my practical reach. I could afford one, but too cheap to pay what someone else might...lol.

-WRM

intel6
07-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Nice! I've got a Cadet that was rechambered for .357 magnum. It's a sweet rifle, light and just deadly accurate.
Congratulations on having one in the original caliber. Do you load for it?

While I would still like to have one in something like .357 Mag I was glad I ended up finding one in its original configuration. I do cast and load for it and found it very easy to find a great shooting load for it. Amazing shooter for iron sights at 100 yds. Getting that has made me want more, especially something like yours in an "easier" caliber to load for.

knockonit
07-13-2018, 05:22 PM
damm nice looking irons, i can't help myself i'm enthralled by the history of some of the milsurps, even when i have one or two, and i come across a really nice one that looks like it has some history, some character, i just gotta snatch it up, its a sickness, you know, it really is, and i'm hoping they don't find a cure at least till i'm gone.
Rj

Wheelgunner
07-17-2018, 06:31 PM
While I would still like to have one in something like .357 Mag I was glad I ended up finding one in its original configuration. I do cast and load for it and found it very easy to find a great shooting load for it. Amazing shooter for iron sights at 100 yds. Getting that has made me want more, especially something like yours in an "easier" caliber to load for.
That is great! I get the casting part but what do you for brass? I kind of recall a guy years ago that had a website “Bob the Scrounger” orsomething like that where one could find unique brass like that. Don’t know if he’s still around. Is there something you can form that out of and where’d you get dies?
And that wood is gorgeous!!

Larry D.
07-17-2018, 10:22 PM
That is great! I get the casting part but what do you for brass? I kind of recall a guy years ago that had a website “Bob the Scrounger” orsomething like that where one could find unique brass like that. Don’t know if he’s still around. Is there something you can form that out of and where’d you get dies?

A quick Google search turned this up:
https://www.buffaloarms.com/310-cadet-smokeless-ammo-120-grain-heeled-bullet-box-of-20-amo310cadet

https://www.buffaloarms.com/310-cadet-cases-bertram-box-of-20-ber310cadet

https://www.buffaloarms.com/310-cadet-die-set-4d-4d310cadet

They are mighty proud of it.

intel6
07-18-2018, 08:02 AM

Well another option to buying brass is to make it yourself.

The 310 Cadet cartridge is very close to a 32-20 which is why many Cadets you find have been rechambered into 32-20. The Cadet round has a thinner rim and is shorter so you need to shorten the brass and then thin out the rim from the front which is the hard thing. There was a guy on the old board (Grumpa) that used to modify brass and I got some new Starline 32-02 brass, sent it to him and he thinned out the rims from the front on a lathe. I then trimmed down the brass to fit the chamber and fire formed it. The throat of the original Cadet chamber is tapered like a funnel and for best accuracy you want the bullet to engage this taper. This makes the length of the case important because with the heeled bullet the shoulder of the bullet is seated at the edge of the case so if the case is too long the round would seat in the chamber and you cant get the lever closed.

As far as dies are concerned you really don't need them, I don't have a set of dies for the Cadet. As it is a lower pressure single shot there is no need to resize the case and since the bullet is a heeled design (like a .22 LR) most people including me just re-prime the cases, dispense the charge and press the bullet into the case. I do this on my Dillon 550 (using my .32 Mag funnel and seating die) but many just do it by hand. I have found that since it is a heeled design I tumble lube them in liquid alox, dust then with mica and press them in place. The coat of alox helps keep the bullet in the case neck and since it is a single shot the rounds are not treated roughly as to knock the bullet out.

I found I had a few pics I took when I was first working with this.

In the first pic below you can see the progression of the brass L to R:

New unfired Starline 32-20 case
New case that has had the rim thinned from the front
Case shortened to length
Case with neck expanded and then fire formed
fire formed case with bullet seated.

Another reason many of these were re-chambered into 32-20 was because the bore/rifling of the Cadet is basically a large .30 cal (they vary but .314-.317" is common) and typically the bullets in 32-20 ammo are pure lead and so it tends to work OK. While I already had the RCBS .310 Cadet Bullet mould I was messing around with other options and since I cast for and shoot .32 S&WL/H&R Mag and 7.62x39 I had some other choices in lead bullets sized at .313" I decided to try and see if my gun would shoot them at that diameter.

In the pic below L to R:

.310 Cadet round loaded with RCBS Cadet bullet with Alox
.310 Cadet round loaded with a cast 95 gr. SWC coated with HiTek and sized @ .313"
.310 Cadet round loaded with a cast 90 gr. WC coated with HiTek and sized @ .313"
This round is a bit of a long story but it is basically a short case with a 130 gr. bullet I cast for 7.62x39.

I found that the .313" sized bullets shot decent out of the Cadet but the RCBS bullet still shoots best out of it.

delta6
07-19-2018, 07:54 PM

The 310 Cadet cartridge is very close to a 32-20 which is why many Cadets you find have been rechambered into 32-20. The Cadet round has a thinner rim and is shorter so you need to shorten the brass and then thin out the rim from the front which is the hard thing. There was a guy on the old board (Grumpa) that used to modify brass and I got some new Starline 32-02 brass, sent it to him and he thinned out the rims from the front on a lathe. I then trimmed down the brass to fit the chamber and fire formed it. The throat of the original Cadet chamber is tapered like a funnel and for best accuracy you want the bullet to engage this taper. This makes the length of the case important because with the heeled bullet the shoulder of the bullet is seated at the edge of the case so if the case is too long the round would seat in the chamber and you cant get the lever closed.

As far as dies are concerned you really don't need them, I don't have a set of dies for the Cadet. As it is a lower pressure single shot there is no need to resize the case and since the bullet is a heeled design (like a .22 LR) most people including me just re-prime the cases, dispense the charge and press the bullet into the case. I do this on my Dillon 550 (using my .32 Mag funnel and seating die) but many just do it by hand. I have found that since it is a heeled design I tumble lube them in liquid alox, dust then with mica and press them in place. The coat of alox helps keep the bullet in the case neck and since it is a single shot the rounds are not treated roughly as to knock the bullet out.

Case shortened to length

Another reason many of these were re-chambered into 32-20 was because the bore/rifling of the Cadet is basically a large .30 cal (they vary but .314-.317" is common) and typically the bullets in 32-20 ammo are pure lead and so it tends to work OK. While I already had the RCBS .310 Cadet Bullet mould I was messing around with other options and since I cast for and shoot .32 S&WL/H&R Mag and 7.62x39 I had some other choices in lead bullets sized at .313" I decided to try and see if my gun would shoot them at that diameter.

In the pic below L to R:

.310 Cadet round loaded with a cast 95 gr. SWC coated with HiTek and sized @ .313"
.310 Cadet round loaded with a cast 90 gr. WC coated with HiTek and sized @ .313"
This round is a bit of a long story but it is basically a short case with a 130 gr. bullet I cast for 7.62x39.

I found that the .313" sized bullets shot decent out of the Cadet but the RCBS bullet still shoots best out of it.

That is all very PURTY........

Wheelgunner
07-20-2018, 08:08 PM

Case shortened to length

In the pic below L to R:

Thanks so much for sharing this! This is very educational for me. I’m not new to reloading but I only load for modern cartridges and was only slightly knowledgable of the .310 cartridge. Great pictures! Those alone provide a ton of information. Again, congrats on very cool piece of history and bringing it here for us to see.

intel6
07-21-2018, 08:32 AM
Sure, I am glad you found it interesting and informative.